“Choice, not circumstances, determines your success.” Anonymous
I consider myself successful at this time. How did i become successful? Let me count the ways:
1. It is my choice to come to the USA after a very bad experience in Saudi Arabia. I have to leave my loved ones behind just to seek greener pastures and make a better life. While in the USA, I worked three jobs just to make ends meet. I saw to it that I have savings for the rainy days and emergencies.
2. I went back to school. Despite the 3 jobs I had, I went back to get my master’s degree in Nursing. I do not know how I did it, but I did. I did not stop there, I continued for a post-master’s certificate program to become an advanced practice nurse (Adult nurse practitioner). I sacrificed a lot, did not have time for vacation and fun at that time. Boy, my grade point average was 4.0 (equal to 1.0 in the Philippines.) I would rarely go out to eat and buy clothes for myself. I was always on a budget. But, I always had money.
Dave Ramsey said, ” live like no one else now, so you can live like no one else later”. I followed his advice, now I am enjoying the fruits of my labor.
3. Have a budget for spending, saving and giving. You do not need to be rich or wealthy to give, just give what you can and forget about it. Lending money is futile, you will end up the bad person when you try to collect. So give, because, there is joy in giving.
4. Choose your friends wisely. You need to cut friends whose motive is to bring you down. This is called “crab mentality”, which is common in the Philippine culture. You see, you can not be too successful without anybody getting jealous. This is reality, people get jealous. It is a universal feeling. Stay away from anybody who has a negative personality. You want your friends to be positive all the time especially when there is hardship in life and recession. People, even strangers will unite for a common cause. A good example is DEADBOL- the group I belong. I have met members only in the internet, and lo and behold, we realize, our personalities jibe and are now more connected than just for a ’cause”.
5. Success is relative, no matter how successful you are, others might think you aren’t. I consider myself successful, but, I do not have everything, so that I still have something to look forward to in life, besides, I need to have a reason to get up early in the morning.